Slain Yatris paid floral tribute by J&K Govt, Attack condemned widely across Kashmir
SRINAGAR: Governor NN Vohra, Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti and deputy Chief Minister Nirmal Singh paid floral tribute to seven Amarnath Yatri’s who lost their life in yesterday Militant Attack in Khanabal area of Anantnag District of South Kashmir.
The Chief Minister consoled the bereaved families expressing deep anguish over the tragic death of their family members. She said the gruesome act of violence has shaken the order of Kashmiri ethos and culture and people across the board have condemned this gory act.
Earlier, Mehbooba Mufti along with Dr Nirmal Singh visited the injured pilgrims at Srinagar and Anantnag. The Chief Minister herself supervised the rescue and relief operations throughout the night at Anantnag.
Police blamed Lashkar-e-Toiba for killing seven Amarnath pilgrims in Anantnag, a charge denied by the militant outfit. Kashmir police chief Munir Khan told reporters that there were credible inputs that the LeT outfit was responsible for the attack.
LeT spokesman Dr Abdullah Ghaznavi in a statement called the attack on Amarnath pilgrims as “highly shameful act.” He said, “Islam does not allow violence against any faith. We strongly condemn such acts”. Ghaznavi said that Kashmiris have never targeted any pilgrim.
Meanwhile people in Kashmir from all sections have strongly condemned the attack on Pilgrims. Social networking sites were full of condemnation, especially users from Kashmir valley expressed strong condemnation to the barbaric act. Separatists’ leaders also condemned the attack on pilgrims.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh hailed the people of Kashmir for their condemnation of the attack that left seven Amarnath pilgrims dead. Rajnath Singh said, “Every section of the society in Kashmir has condemned the unfortunate cowardice act of terror on the Amarnath pilgrims. I salute the people of the state.
Meanwhile a fresh batch of 3,289 Amarnath pilgrims left Jammu for the Kashmir Valley on Tuesday despite the attack.
Government closed all educational institutions and suspended internet facility in Jammu region to maintain law and order in the aftermath of the attack. Besides Trade bodies have called for a shutdown today in Jammu to pay homage to the slain yatris.
Seven people were killed and 19 others were injured in a gunfight last evening after militants attacked the government forces in Botengoo village. The 40-day long yatra started on June 29 and will end on August 7. So far, nearly 1.40 lakh pilgrims have reached the cave shrine.