3 militants, BSF man killed in Humhama Fidayeen attack


    Srinagar: Three militants were killed when they stormed into a Border Security Force (BSF) 182nd Battalion camp at Humhama, in the outskirts of Srinagar city during wee hours of Tuesday. An Assistant Sub-Inspector was also killed while four security personnel including a policeman were wounded injured in the attack.

    The attack resulted in the delay of landing and departure of some of the flights at Srinagar International Airport for quite some time, however, the airport was soon re-opened for civilians flying out of Srinagar. Flight services resumed as well.

    Reports said that three armed militants managed to sneak into highly fortified BSF camp at Humhama at around 4:15 in the morning. Shortly after their entry, there was heavy barrage of fire and explosions between militants and the security personnel.

    Police sources told news agency CNS that militants targeted the administrative block of the BSF camp. Government Forces including BSF, 53 Rashtriya Rifles, CRPF and SOG of Jammu Kashmir Police cordoned off the building while a large number of security personnel engaged militants in fire fight. During the exchange of fire four security personnel were wounded. They were rushed to hospital for treatment. A BSF officer whom police identified as S.K Yadav succumbed to his injuries in the hospital.

    According to police, two militants were gunned down in the initial exchange of fire while the third one was neutralized at around 1:30.

    “This operation was a quality example of cooperation between the forces. They operated in a coordinated manner, which is why it ended soon. It could have ended quickly using aerial weapons, but due to the presence of civilians it was avoided,” Inspector General of Police Kashmir Munir Ahmed Khan told reporters during a presser adding that the attack was conducted by JeM militants. He said militants cut the fencing between the extension of Defence Colony and Gogoland to enter into the building.

    “We lost one ASI of the BSF and three others sustained injuries; the three are stable,” he said.

    The IG said that, “Some reported that the attack was at the airport. Media should be careful and responsible while reporting such things. You must get a confirmation first. These things have major ramifications. I request you to please be reasonable.”

    Regarding flight services, IGP said that: “Only one flight was delayed from New Delhi. We wanted to make sure no militant sneaked into the airport as the operation started when it was pitch dark. The area has been sanitized.”

    He said that: “JeM is a threat because the cadres believe in such kind of activities, like attacking the camps. We have to be prepared for such attacks.”