Two IAF commandos, two militants killed in Hajin encounter Militants were involved in attack on BSF man, his family: Police



    Srinagar: For the first time in Kashmir’s nearly three-decades-long insurgency, two Indian Air Force (IAF) commandos were killed in a fierce gunfight with militants in the region’s Bandipora district on Wednesday.

    Air force personnel have been attacked and killed by insurgents in the troubled region but they were not participating in ground combat.

    “They were training with the army for operational experience,” army spokesman Rajesh Kalia said, referring to Wednesday’s shootout in which two militants were also killed.

    The IAF commandos belonged to its elite special forces unit, Garud.

    The gunbattle started early morning after a joint patrol of the army, police and Garud commandos cordoned off an area in Bandipora’s Hajin following a tip-off that militants were hiding there.

    The deaths occurred in the ensuing intense fighting. Sergeant K. Milind Kishor, 33, had joined the IAF in 2002. He was from Maharashtra. Hailing from Bihar, Corporal Nilesh Kumar Nayan, 31, joined the force in 2005.

    In 1990, at least four air force officers were killed in an ambush by militants in Sannat Nagar of Srinagar, but they were not participating in any operation.

    The government has been pursuing a tough line against militants in Kashmir since a surge in insurgent violence as well as street protests that have killed about 100 people over the past year.

    Security forces have struck back, tracking and killing a number of militant commanders of Hizbul Mujahideen and Lashkar-e-Taiba for the past few months.

    Garud commandos are trained to guard air force bases as well as fight insurgents and participate in search and rescue operations.

    The need for a specialised team of air force commandos was felt when militants tried to attack two air bases in Jammu and Kashmir in 2001.

    Garud commandos led the operation against militants who targeted the Pathankot air base in January 2016, one of the worst attacks on an IAF station that killed seven people, including three security personnel. (Courtesy: The Hindu)