“Medical negligence” causes death of twins at Kashmir’s Lal Ded Hospital, Father seeks probe

SRINAGAR, JULY 19: A father has appealed authorities to bring the largest  maternity care Lal Ded Hospital on track after losing his two sons due to alleged medical negligence by doctors. He has written an open letter to Jammu Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik seeking his intervention so that no father has to shoulder the coffin of his babies.
The letter has been written by one Abid Bashir Sofi, a Journalist working for a wire agency.
“Open letter to J&K Governor SP Malik. I lost my two sons due to medical negligence at LD hospital. Please intervene so that no father has to shoulder the coffin of his babies,” Sofi has tweeted.
His tweet has generated a lot of criticism for authorities.
“This is shocking Abid. I will put in my own efforts at every level possible to ensure the tragedy you, your wife & the rest of your family have had to face isn’t repeated. I can’t begin to imagine how you must be feeling. May Allah grant your babies Jannat,” responded former Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
“It was in January 2009 I remember when Omar Abdullah sahab was on it’s way to Jammu for taking oath as chief minister before all that he made his surprise visit to LD hospital to ensure all basic facilities to patients, but after that who cared,” wrote a user while another one termed 2009 surprise visit of LD by Omar Abdullah as show off.
While narrating the trauma he suffered from at Lal Ded Hospital, Sofi according to Kashmir News Trust in his letter has stated that on the dreadful night of June 28, shouldering the tiny coffins of his children was the most difficult and soul numbing thing he has ever done in his life. And pretending to be strong for his family and wife, who were a wreck was unbearable.
“My wife started having contractions at around 22:30 hours on June 28. We called our concerned doctor who after diagnosing said its Braxton Hicks contraction. He said we should not worry and if the pain continues my wife should take a tablet which she takes every morning for contractions. But, to make sure, my wife was alright, I decided to take her to Lal Ded Hospital, a decision, I will have to live with for rest of my life. While we were on way to hospital, she said that her pain is subsiding. On reaching the hospital, she walked all by herself from parking of the hospital to Emergency Ward – a distance of over 500 meters without any assistance. The doctors on duty asked her to lie on the bed and without any test – Ultra Sound or any other test- declared that both the babies have died. When my wife insisted that she can feel the movement of the babies and my mother-in-Law argued about the same, they were shouted at and silenced. The doctors did a Pelvic Examination and said that the cervix has dilated.”…..”As the babies have already we have to induce labour and deliver them immediately,” said the doctor.
“When my wife protests against it and said she can still feel the movement of babies- Ali and Abu Bakar, she was slapped and asked to shut up or leave the hospital and die. I was never allowed into the room and the security personnel pushed me out everytime I tried to enter. A level 2 Ultra Sound was done just two weeks in which everything was normal and both the babies were healthy.”
Injection to induce labour was given to her through the drip which was put on her forearm. And she was taken to ward where babies were delivered. Still no Ultrasound or any other tests to verify whether the babies were alive or dead were done. The first baby was delivered at around 00:30 hours and he was alive. My wife says that the senior doctor had asked that Assistant to put the child on the table, despite him being alive, as according to her (the doctor) he had no chance to survive. It was only after a junior doctor insisted the baby was taken to the ICU for children. The doctors again had to inject drugs to get the 2nd baby out.
My wife says it was the most excruciating experience as the 2nd baby was higher up in the womb. The doctors had to manually pull the baby down to get him out. This was the time when the doctor complained of her dress being ruined by the blood of my wife and children (Madam: had my children been alive, I would not have minded your comment and in fact would have brought you 10 dresses, 100 times expensive than what you were wearing. But talking about your dress when my 2 children were about to die under your watch is sickening) My wife pleaded with the doctors to save the 2nd baby as the babies were non identical twins and the 2nd child had a separate sac and separate placenta. The 2nd baby was delivered and he too was alive….He was also taken to the ICU. Instead of consoling my wife, the behaviour of the doctors was the most important factor that my wife is afraid to consult a doctor for further course of action.
My boys who were as strong as their mother fought to survive for almost 3 and a half hours without any support from hospital authorities. The doctor said as the babies  were born premature (in the 23rd week of pregnancy) there was nothing they could do. After receiving a call I took the admit card to ICU where a doctor, probably doing house job took the card and started writing on a different card without bothering to tell me that my children were dead. It was only after I inquired about their health that the doctor said they are dead and went on to do his paperwork ( business as usual).
Then a Nurse asked me to get blankets so that babies could be wrapped and given to me. It was the most difficult thing to get blankets for my dead babies. I could not find a soft blanket for it could have hurt my babies but I could not fathom how it could make any difference as they were already gone. I drove to my house from hospital with them in my sister’s arms.
Ali and Abu Bakar were to be washed before their burial, so the water was heated. I could not muster the courage to hold them in my arms and kiss them goodbye. I just sat on the side of room and cursed myself for not being able to do anything. Even though my kids were very young and yet to develop, they were the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Their feet and hands resembled that of their mother and were as brave as she is. Instead of driving my kids to a play field, I drove them to our graveyard where they were laid to rest.
After burying my 2 little kids I went to the hospital to seek some answers. I went to the Medical Superintendent of Lal Ded Hospital, who looked at the file of my wife and asked if there was a second part to the file. He then asked another doctor to have a look at the file. I could sense the uneasiness of the MS while handing over the file to another doctor. Then the Lady Doctor said that the babies were born premature and I should be relieved that they are dead or else if they survived and had complications, I would have to face difficulties. The details about why the babies were born premature were left out conveniently. The MS then said that there was nothing that they could have done without answering why no Ultrasound was done to check if my babies were dead or alive. Why cervical cerclage which has success rate of 80 to 90 percent was not done to save the babies as my wife was not in a labor and in fact labor was induced by injections. The doctors have conveniently not written anything about the injections which were given to my wife to induce labor in their reports with a criminal intent to save themselves. They have also not written that they had informed us that the babies have died.
What exactly happened that night needs to be investigated and the guilty should be punished so that no one has to go through what my family, my wife and I had to go through. (KNT)

Comments are closed.